Socw 6103 week 2 discussion 1: anti-discrimination law and laws | SOCW 6103 – Introduction to Addictions | Walden University
Discussion 1: Anti-Discrimination Law and Laws Protecting Individuals With Addiction
There are very specific laws and advocacy efforts to protect individuals with addictions. Only in the past thirty years have people with addictions had legal protection from discrimination (Lawinfo, 2009). Anti-discrimination laws exist to provide people struggling with addiction the opportunity to receive treatment without suffering punitive actions. These include:
· Affordable Care Act
· American with Disabilitites Act
· Children’s Health Act
· Garrett Lee Smith Memorial Act
· Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act
· Sober Truth on Preventing (STOP) Underage Drinking Act
· Trial Law and Order Act (TLOA)
For this Discussion, research the federal Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act and one other act listed above in the Walden Library and reputable Internet sources. Consider how you might respond to the scenario provided utilizing the two acts.
Imagine being at work, when suddenly, a colleague walks in visibly intoxicated. She is being loud, slurring her words, and bumping into people. Realizing that she is disturbing her co-workers, the intoxicated employee walks into the human resources department and tells them she is addicted to alcohol and needs treatment.
Provide a discussion Post which contains the following Topics, Content, and Headings:
– A brief description of the federal Mental Health Parity, Addiction Equity Act and Addiction Equity Act and American with Disabilities Act
– Explain how you might respond to the scenario provided utilizing the federal Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act and the American with Disabilities Act
– Identify the rights the employee has in this situation.
– Explain how the laws you discuss protect the employee who violated the company’s policy on drunkenness.
– Explain why such laws might be important.
Must contain at least 4 references being sure to reference the federal Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act, and American with Disabilities Act, Lambert (2011) and Robinson (2017) and 1 other
How it Works
It only takes a couple of minutes to fill in your details, select the type of paper you need (essay, term paper, etc.), give us all necessary information regarding your assignment.
Once we receive your request, one of our customer support representatives will contact you within 24 hours with more specific information about how much it'll cost for this particular project.
After receiving payment confirmation via PayPal or credit card – we begin working on your detailed outline, which is based on the requirements given by yourself upon ordering.
Once approved, your order is complete and will be emailed directly to the email address provided before payment was made!